
We are dedicating our baby Jonathan to the Lord this Sunday. This is a cute outfit that my Aunt Dottie gave me for this occasion. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit anymore. I had to submit a picture to the church of our little guy about a month ago. He just outgrew most of his 0-3 month clothes. I figured it out when I put it on him a month ago. It is baby blue with cute little boats on a matching bib. I would try to squeeze him in it this weekend but it's shorts with short sleeves and we are supposed to have some cooler weather this weekend. I guess I will go with my plan B the original khaki pants with a collar shirt.
We chose to dedicate Jonathan to the Lord for these reasons. Dedicating a child acknowledges God's sovereignty not only over our child. We are presenting Jonathan before God and His people asking for grace and wisdom in carrying out the responsibilities. We pray that Jonathan might one day trust Jesus Christ as Savior for the forgiveness of sin.
I think this verse helps explain what this event truly is about.
6:4 Listen, Israel: The Lord is our God, the Lord is one! 5 You must love the Lord your God with your whole mind, your whole being, and all your strength. 6 These words I am commanding you today must be kept in mind, 7 and you must teach them to your children and speak of them as you sit in your house, as you walk along the road, as you lie down, and as you get up. ©NET
First, it commands parents to love God; if you truly wish for your child to one day love and follow God, you must be an example.
Second, Deuteronomy makes clear that the duty of teaching children belongs to parents; Sunday schools can provide weekly instruction, but parents must seize the teachable moments that arise throughout life. Explain the value of prayer (for example, repetitious prayers like "Now I lay me down to sleep . . .") at meal times and before bed. Urge them to read aloud Bible stories for devotions. Give them practical ideas they can implement into their daily family routines.
If you will please say a prayer for us on Sunday that we will teach Jonathan to love the Lord God with all his heart, soul and strength (Deuteronomy 6:5).
No comments:
Post a Comment