Aug 1, 2009

Pacifiers vs. Thumb Sucker

I love to read about Stephen's growth and development as a toddler. Now I will start reading about infants again for Jonathan. I found an interesting article about pacifiers vs. thumb suckers. I never even discussed with Daniel what we would do we just gave Stephen a pacifier. Jonathan is 100% as of right now so he doesn't really take a pacifier very well. I guess since I have taught kindergarten for 8 years I have seen so many boys and girls come in sucking their thumb. I never wanted my kids to do it. It's hard at this point to get them to stop sucking their thumb. Stephen takes a pacifier only for night time and naps. He doesn't take his paci out of his bed. I guess we started this rule at 13 or 14 months. I probably won't get him off 100% until age 2. He has put Jonathan's pacifier in his mouth a dozen times now. So I guess we'll see how it goes with Jonathan.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/infants/i/06_thumb_v_paci_2.htm

1 comment:

Nick, Krista, Carson and Clay said...

Oh yes, I had a thumbsucker this year in the 2nd grade! I tried everything I could to get him to stop. He had developed it as a comforting mechanism early on and now he'll be in 3rd grade as a thumbsucker! Yikes!