Apr 4, 2009

Yuck news! Gestational Diabetes AGAIN!

I had my week 26 appointment this Wed. I had to drink my glucose drink to check for gestational diabetes at work and then go in to the doctor 45 min. later for my check up and blood draw. Thursday I got the dreaded call that I failed the random glucose test. Now, I will go in for the fasting glucose test. YEA! Basically, this means I have it again. The fasting glucose test isn't fun though. Thank goodness I don't mind getting needle pricks and drinking glucose because I will go have to fast after 12am. They will draw my blood when I get there, I drink the drink and then they take my blood every hour for three hours. Each hour has to be under a certain number for me to pass. I plan to buy a new blood glucose meter and get the most updated meal plan. My school nurse told me a few months ago that they revised the diet for gestational diabetes.

At my appointment Dr. Francis told me she will deliver Jonathan on or before July 3rd if I test positive. So I guess our little boy will arrive in exactly 12 weeks. Crazy! I have 9 weeks left teaching kindergarten. Wow! I am slowly going through my closet and cabinets at work to decide WHAT I don't need to store at home. I am one of those who tends to build up clutter. Since I have been teaching for 7 years and Mom just retired I have a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, half of it I never touch or even use. Each year our district requires us to do the most updated teaching activities and benchmark tests. So what I did the year before doesn't really get used again.



Daniel went to Louisiana for three days this week. He came back late last night. He let me sleep in until 9am and then he went to the Shell Houston Open golf tournament going on this weekend in Houston. He absolutely loved it! I really wanted to go but realize this is a guy thing and we didn't have a sitter. We were going to go together tomorrow morning but once again no babysitter and church is more important. Oh well! I told him I want to go next year. It sounds like so much fun. I feel like I know a lot about golf since we watch it even though I have never played golf. I want some sweet pink or lavender golf clubs one day.



I tried to go to our annual Art Festival on the waterway here in the Woodlands. Since we have lived here for two years I thought I need to go and I was bored of being inside all day with SDS. So he and I ventured out to the waterway. I didn't even think to have cash on me because I didn't really want to buy anything. I was just going to look and get Stephen out. At the gate it was $10 to get in so I turned around and went back to my car. I decided to go to Market Street instead and walk around for free while window shopping. I went to baby Gap to window shop for a preemie outfit for baby Jonathan. I didn't have anything to fit Stephen when we left the hospital and for 2 weeks after he was born since he weighed 7lbs exactly. A few other things I plan on buying for the second baby are a video monitor, baby sling, sound machine and a bumbo trey (eventually). I don't have a swing but I borrowed my sister-in-law's last time so I will probably borrow it again. Callie is using it now but she will be almost 9 months old when baby J is born. If she is still using it I will go buy one.



Stephen at 16 months:

- takes one nap a day (2- 2 1/2 hours)

- can get in his cute chair on our back porch

- turn pages in a book ( he loves books)

- loves his soft blue bear for night time

- can follow simple directions such as go get your shoes, put your cup on the table (coffee table), go get a book, go get a ball,

- uses a spoon somewhat ( I also have a spoon so he will eat most of the food instead of it all over him and the floor)

- throws a tantrum when gets frustrated

- plays "peek-a-boo" with his bath towel after his bath

-weighs 22.3 lbs

- scribble on paper with a crayon

- will eat the crayon if I turn my head

- drinks milk, juice/water, water during the day

- enjoys cubed cheese, crackers, cheez it's, grapes, plum, banana, Cheerios's, yogurt, pizza, chef boyarde beefaroni

- the most recent fun foods he has tried are Popsicle, animal crackers, cake, ice cream, brownie





vocabulary: mama, dada, jay jay (Jamie), cracker (acker); uh, oh; no AND no, mine, hi; bye, bye, all done, milk (mil), more, yay, yes (Daniel taught him when he makes a basket in his little goal to pull his arm down and say "yes"); baby, night night (ni, ni)


He can show us: big belly, nose, teeth and ear (sometimes)


He can tell us these animals sounds: cow, dog, duck


I will post some pictures soon. We are celebrating Peter's 29th birthday tomorrow in Pearland. All the boys will get to meet their new baby cousin Reed (Daniel's cousin Sarah ). I think he is close to 6 months old now.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the gestational diabetes but I LOVE reading the SDS updates!